Tuesday, March 15, 2011

WIP - Learning to paint orchids

 I know little about orchids and I have to admit that they are usually not my favorite flower - I actually find that some look a little bit scary:-). However, if possible, I would like to enter a few orchid paintings in the Ottawa Orchid show in late April. This is my first try: don't ask me why I chose such a complex reference instead of just one macro flower!!!The reference is by Pampe on Wetcanvas...Thank you Pampe!

This watercolor is about 11' X 14" and instead of Arches CP paper , I am once again trying the Fabriano 140 SP...so far I like it: it is very white, it has been accepting a lot of abuse ( removal of masking, some lifting).

The gold petals will have some rusty color and two of the flowers will have some red in the centre...The composition is in arc-shaped., which I though would add nice movement to the piece. However, there are so many blades of grass and leaves at the bottom...I am not sure if this piece will turn out ok....

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about orchids..not my favorite either, but this one is looking really good so far. Will keep an eye on the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is looking wonderful so far. I like the composition and where you are heading. Look forward to seeing more:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jane and Kathy! I hope that you like the progress photos.

    ReplyDelete