Sunday, February 7, 2010

Next painting in "Memories of Venice" series

During the last few weeks, I have just been experimenting with various papers without working on a larger painting.Today, I realized that after such a hiatus, I felt nervous about committing to what
I call " an attempt at  a painting worth framing". I am very good at procrastinating, so to avoid looking for excuses, here goes: I am posting the picture that I will use as inspiration....there is no turning back after this:-)

Some of you may recognize a portion of this picture that I used a while back for "Springtime in Venice". It is a picture that I took last April during my two-week stay in Venice. It is another Venetian facade to add to my series of "Memories of Venice"watercolors if the painting turns out ok.

I hope that my blogging friends are not getting too tired of these Venetian facades.For me, the main attraction of this scene is the opportunity to play with colorful shadows ( from the shutters and the plants). The smooth portions of the wall should also be great for pouring, my favorite technique.

I have finished the sketch and have used Pebeo masking fluid to keept my whites and main highlights.
Hopefully, after work this week, I won't be too tired to start the first pours.
I am using Arches 140 lb CP, my old faithful, and the painting will be approximately 15" X 20 ".

Wishing you a great Sunday.

12 comments:

  1. Great reference. You are so lucky to have such wonderful reference materials. This is going to be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Krista, for the great vote of confidence. I hope that I will be able to live up to it...As I said in my post, I always find starting a new painting very scary....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never ever will I get tired of Venice. Good luck and enjoy the process as you move along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, I should enjoy the painting process more now that I have returned to the Arches 140lb CP that I am used to.
    I will never get enough of Venice either:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to experiment - that's how you learn what really works best for you. Right now - you know! I've never been to Venice but my daughter has and took tons of photos - so I live vicariously through those who have been there - and don't think I'll get tired of looking at any Venetian paintings you can produce!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will do some more experimenting soon - I am dying to try the watercolor batik technique.
    Thank you for the very sweet comment - I will keep those Venetian paintings coming:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christiane I like what I'm seeing so far, can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Nora. I should be posting an update within the next few days. I will try not to disappoint you too much:-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it great how having a blog spurs you to have something new to post? This should be a very nice painting. I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, this is absolutely true: once I have mentioned a painting project on the blog, I feel I have to complete it!
    Thank you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so lucky to have such wonderful authentic reference material for your "memories of Venice" series. I think you have a great start on this latest - don't you just love Pebeo masking fluid. I think I have tried most of them and like it best. I also agree with you that starting a new painting is very frightening - that sheet of white paper is very intimidating! Also, your pouring technique is just perfect for the facades of Venice with your beautiful delicate colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barbara, my photos of Venice are just like a treasure to me. I look at them several times a week and I always find something new to admire.

    You are right about Pebeo masking fluid - it is also my favorite.

    I will post my first pours later on tonight...they did not quite turn out the way I had envisioned them....but it is early yet and the colors may turn out ok.

    I appreciate your visit and your taking the time to leave such nice, interesting comments.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete