Sunday, January 31, 2010

Another experiment with 300lb Hot Pressed Watercolor Paper

Two posts ago, I communicated the results of my first experiment with 300lb Hot Pressed Fabriano watercolor paper. I was not pleased at all with my experience - I felt that I had no control over the paint. However, many artists love this paper - I was obviously doing something wrong. Yesterday, I gave this paper another try. The results may not be too great, but this time I actually had fun painting on this paper. I used less water, I lifted paint with a tissue, I created texture with  paper towels, with salt. and with a sponge.
As inspiration, I used another of my photos from last year's trip to Venice.  Here is the photo:



I cropped the picture and painted only a part of it on a 11"X14" Fabriano HP. The paving stones did not come out the way I intended, but I am fairly happy with the two silhouettes.




I think I need a break from my experimenting and will go back to my old faithful, Arches 140 lb CP watercolor paper before I forget how to paint on it.

Have a great day.

3 comments:

  1. I was surprised you used less water since the paper just soaks it up - but you handled it well and I think you'll like it the more you use it. But never give up your 140# - it's the gold standard :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed your prior post about your paper experiments and am weighing in late - I used Saunders Waterford for a while; it's very soft and after glazing several layers it will be almost "blotter" like. I went back to Arches 140. I do not stretch the paper but will tape it down, let it buckled after my first wash, air dry it overnight and it's usually pretty flat next day. At the very end, I'll iron it if necessary, but I think a certain amount of fluctuation by the paper surface after it is framed indicates "original!!!" Lately I'm using more Fabriano, both 140 and 300, and some Arches 300 also, and liking all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda,
    I certainly will not give up the Arches 140#. I am anxious to get back to it.

    Deb,
    I am very happy to hear that you don't mind a bit of fluctuation of the paper. This is what I have been dreading with the 140#.

    ReplyDelete