Monday, June 15, 2015

Great Fun with Aquabord

For the past week, I have been playing with 4" x 4" Aquabord, the Ampersand panels made for watercolor.
I had tried this surface once before, but without success. This time, I really like what I am achieving. The result is not the same as a watercolor painting on paper, but it certainly has its advantages. The surface does not buckle or tear, paint lifts back to the white so easily, and it is very easy to varnish.
Disadvantages: well, when you paint in layers, the previous layer will have a tendency to lift ...and you need to adapt your painting techniques. I don't think anything will ever replace for me the pleasure of working on my Fabriano SP paper, but I am certainly having fun with the Aquabord.

SOLD



SOLD

   Above are three florals I painted in the last week. I think they look great on a small mini easel, but they can as easily be inserted in a regular frame for wall display.

What has been your experience with Aquabord?


8 comments:

  1. Wow Christina I am very interested in trying aquaboards as I didn't know they existed! You have made some beautiful paintings on them. As you say not having to stretch the paper is a big bonus. I will go seek some online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morag, do give it a try. It takes a while to get used to this surface.

      Delete
  2. Dear Christiane-very lovely flower portraits. I have attempted to use aqua board but haven't managed to get the hang of it. You inspired me to try it again. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debbie and thank you. Give the aquabord another try...I hated it when I tried it a few years ago, but this time I am enjoying the experience.

      Delete
  3. I know nothing about aquaboard. But I must say the trio looks so content and beautiful, like a series, like a story.
    And surface seems to be deep and porous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Irina. Thank you for your nice comments.
      The aquabord is made in Texas by the Ampersand company that also makes the popular gessobord and claybord. The aquabord is especially for watercolour paint; the surface is rough to the touch, as if it is covered by hundreds of little sponges. It does not take the place of paper, but it is certainly fun to experiment with.

      Delete
  4. Hi Christiane. These are delightful. Thanks for sharing your adventures in trying new things. I have used aquabord before but didn't have good results so i put it away and forgot about it till now. Perhaps i should give it another try! I know the results can be very beautiful as is shown here! Thanks Christiane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross, I am very pleased that you like these little paintings. I find the Aquabord rather challenging still, but I am starting to know what works and what does not on this very unique surface.
      Give aquabord another try...they don't replace watercolour paper, but it is great to use watercolour paints on a surface that does not buckle or tear and that you don't have to stretch, etc....

      Delete