Monday, October 19, 2009

"Laundry Day in Venice" finished


I have finally put my "Laundry Day in Venice" ( tentative title:-) aside for a while. It is probably finished although I have not signed it yet.

I have added some spatter on the lower left wall and also in the water; I added some shadows in the windows and around the door.I followed the suggestion of using an exacto knife to scrape the clothesline; somehow, I could not get it to show up very much and finally did add some white gouache.

I took the next picture inside with a flash, so the colors are not quite right. These days it is dark when I leave in the morning to go to work and it's dark by the time I get home.

I am going through my files and my pictures to find a nice, easy, relaxing painting project.

Thank you all to the encouragement throughout this process.


12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful finish! Looks superb and certainly captures that Venetian light and color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice job! Love the colors. You really turned this one around. let me know if you find a relaxing subject to paint next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. christiane.. this turned out really nice... you might want to try the exacto blade again if the paper wasn't bone dry.. it usuually scapes pretty nice.. id say sign this, it is beautiful!! is there such a thong as an easy relaxed painting?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, Kathy and Cindi: thank you so much for the kind comments. I will be very happy to declare this one finished...at least for now:-)

    Hum...an easy and relaxing painting next...I am still looking Cindy and Kathy. I am sure such a thing exists. But, in my mind, all paintings are relaxing and super fast and easy: it's that brush and paint that complicates things:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out fantastic! love the colors, shadow and the grill work, nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Krista. The grill work should perhaps have been painted in a tighter manner...I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your colors in this Christiane. I think it came out well

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Nora. It is certainly much more colorful than the reference picture:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful painting, love the colors and all the white spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Priti,
    Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully completed, Christiane. The colors are so clear and the white spaces set them off nicely. I hope you found a relaxing project to paint next. Can'ts wait to see what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Mary.
    I am on vacation this week...my belated summer holiday:-) So, I am finding everything relaxing. I tried Yupo for the first time last night...it looks like a kindergarder finger painting at this stage...but it was fun.
    I may start a floral painting or some pears tonight.

    ReplyDelete