Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Humble Venetian Door -Update 2

As promised, here are updates to show my progress with this new Venetian Door painting. I have taken all the pictures at night with flash and artificial lights; consequently, the colors are really not accurate.





Stage 2:
More pours of the three primaries. Some work on the weathered door - especially since I felt that would be one of my biggest challenges. I did some practice work first - the practice was much better than this :-( The door is lighter in real life and appears less blotchy.



Stage 3:

Work on the shadows below the laundry : this was what first made me want to paint from this.
Work here and there on the upper part of the wall to show some brickwork








Stage 4: The colors are not quite right on this picture;  they should not be quite this bright.
I started the water at this point because I really wanted to see what the green would add to the entire effect.
Some of the masking has been removed around the door and over the right-hand window ironwork. I am very disappointed at this point with the look of that window: the background is much too dark and my drawing/masking too sloppy.



Overall, I am not displeased with my painting, but I am afraid the final watercolor may be rather boring... After the disaster with the right-hand window, I am somewhat nervous about tackling the other windows and the scroll work over the door.

What do you think? Suggestions? Ideas for a title?

To be continued soon...Thank you so much for looking over my shoulder. Your presence encourages me along.

7 comments:

  1. It's really coming along very well. One thing John Salminen does in his city scenes to make them more interesting is to gray away the colors outside the focal area. The grays stillhave color in them, but more muted, making the focal area dance with color. Looking forward to seeing the finished painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sandy for taking the time to comment and for the great suggestion. I will visit John Salmine's website for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chrisitane.. wait till you see johns work.. wow.. he is a real detail person and altho the work is spectcular.. know i would never have the patience!! this is coming along quite nicely.. wish i could see the colors better ..maybe when the weekend comes and you are home during the day... like what i see of the door, so far very rustic looking!! keep going kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are off to a great start, I agree with graying down the outside colors and punching up the one in the focal area, I like the color you have used so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... ...traigo
    sangre
    de
    la
    tarde
    herida
    en
    la
    mano
    y
    una
    vela
    de
    mi
    corazon
    para
    invitarte
    y
    darte
    este
    alma
    que
    viene
    para
    compartir
    contigo
    tu
    bello
    blog
    con
    un
    ramillete
    de
    oro
    y
    claveles
    dentro...


    desde mis
    HORAS ROTAS
    Y AULA DE PAZ


    TE SIGO TU BLOG:
    CHRISTIANE




    CON saludos de la luna al
    reflejarse en el mar de la
    poesia ...


    AFECTUOSAMENTE
    CHRISTIANE




    jose
    ramon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. christiane.. there is a very special kreative blogger award for you, on my blog.. stop by and pick it up.. if you have any questions on how to bring it to you blog, just let me know!!

    thanks for sharing your wonderful talent with all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindi, this is such a surprise and a thrill! I am rushing over to your site...and I don't know how to bring a blogging award back here:-)
    Thank you so much...
    Christiane

    ReplyDelete