Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I am not the only one who is crazy about Italian doors...

I joined the Red Bubble Site about a month ago. Last week, for the fun of it, I entered my Venetian Doorway in a group challenge "Doors and Windows". What a relief to see that I am not the only person around with a door fixation :-)...


And what a pleasant surprise to find out two days ago that my favorite door had been voted one of the ten top entries...and the only non-photographic winner.
...

Here is the picture reference that I will be using for my next Venetian door  watercolor painting- not at all a Palazzo door, that's for sure. In fact, that's one of the most humble-looking doors that I have seen in Venice.
However, the hanging laundry is symbolic of the life on the other side of the door - it leads my imagination beyond the door to an interior and individuals that I will never get to know...On the other hand, those individuals will never know that I was on the outside wondering about them. In fact, don't we go through life building doors to separate us from others, to keep them out or simply unaware that others would like to be invited in.  Viewed this way,  this humble door takes on more meaning for me than the gilded door of an empty palazzo....

Hopefully, I will soon have some pictures to show my progress with this painting.


7 comments:

  1. I love the door painting and look forward to seeing the "humble door" piece when you finish. I'm sure this one will be very fun to do and humble can be so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your door is fantastic, I love you use of color. Can't wait to see the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much Mary and Krista for your kind comments.
    This next door will be different from my previous ones since it is so much less colorful; I also intend to show a lot more of the facade of the building in order to include the laundry and its nice shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Christiane, on being part of the top ten. I really like the green in here and how you showed the bricks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Nora. I am not really sure what being among the top ten really means since I don't have a clue how many people vote or what criteria they use. Nevertheless, I was pleased:-)
    I always find the brickwork quite a challenge - I don't try to achieve a very realistic effect, but I also want the viewer to "see" bricks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on getting into the top 10 - and having the only non-photo in the top 10! I like this photo a lot...so much potential in the textures and the shadows alone :) Will be checking to see how it comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhonda, thank you:-)
    I will try to start posting pictures of my progress tomorrow or Monday at the latest. I appreciate the interest - it gives me more incentive to get some painting done...although it adds to the pressure: now I will have to post the results even if it is a disaster:-)

    ReplyDelete