Monday, January 19, 2015

Revisiting Neptune's Fountain in Florence

Very strange! My post seems to have disappeared.
Here is the painting I had shared:
"Neptune"- from Neptune's Fountain in Florence, Italy
It is my latest watercolor painting and measures approx. 14.5" x 21.5 inches before matting and framing. It is on Fabriano Artistico watercolor paper.
About a year and a half ago, I painted the lower part of that fountain, my " Neptune's Sea Horses" and wanted to paint the top of that fountain, Neptune's head.I fell in love with the details of this white marble face. I decided to add warm colors on the left hand side of the painting and cool colors on the right hand side. The photo was taken inside with a flash ( still too cold in Ottawa to take photos outside,I feel), so the colors are not entirely accurate.
It represents the head of a huge marble statue by Bartolomeo Ammannati (1563–1565) which was commissioned on the occasion of the wedding of Francesco I de' Medici with Johanna of Austria in 1565. The Neptune figure, whose face resembles that of Cosimo I de' Medici, was meant to be an allusion to the dominion of the Florentines over the sea. It stands in the middle of a beautiful fountain.(Wikipedia)
I hope you will like this painting!

3 comments:

  1. Great job on the face! By all means get this piece framed! The colors sing and your handling of the edges is spot on! Difficult to imagine your cold temps from here in South Florida...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement, Rosemary.
    I will get it framed, then:-)

    I think that half of Canadians dream of moving to Florida during the winter. Today, it is reasonably mild, but with the windchill it officially feels like -6 F... which is still pretty good since one night last week with wind chill if went down to -38 F...that was really cold;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. J'aime votre travaille !
    Un vrai plaisir pour les yeux !
    Je vous invite à découvrir mon travaille si vous le voulez bien. Merci.
    Bonne journée.
    Sam.
    http://sampassionne.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete