Thursday, October 23, 2014

Small Study: Michelangelo's David - The eyes!



I saw Michelangelo's David in Florence for the first time a few years ago. Immediately, I knew that I wanted to paint those wonderful eyes!

David is a 17 ft marble statue of a male nude created by the Renaissance artist Michelangelo. It soon became to symbolize the defense of civil liberties in Florence. David's warning glare was turned towards one of Florence's rivals, Rome.

This small watercolor may be the study of a larger painting one day. It is 8" x 10" on Arches 140lb cold press paper and is matted in white to 11" x 14" and is protected by a clear plastic sleeve.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness.... the expression you've conveyed there... he has just come to life, finally, after being cast in stone all those years... thanks to your unique vision! What a wonderful portrayal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, you are too kind:-) but I am glad that you like it.

      Delete