Monday, October 18, 2010

Lace WIP, Artalee and Red Bubble

I am back from a beautiful  short trip to NYC to visit my daughter.

I have been neglecting my painting lately with my two recent holidays. I have also been spending a lot of my energy thinking about my life at work: my organization is going through a reorganization, and  I am trying to decide if I will resign from my full-time job and retire in December. These thoughts are not conducive to creativity:-)

To get my brushes wet again, I  have started a new painting with fruit and lace. The approach is a lot less realistic than my previous lace work. It will eventually represent 6 small cherry tomatoes from my garden on another beautiful lace piece that I have borrowed from my mother. I have tried  to increase the effect of shadows across the battenburg lace and those created by the tomatoes: I am not sure that it will work, but it's a nice way to get back into painting after the short hiatus.

On another note, my strawberry painting, "Let's Talk"was featured this week on Red Bubble:
Last, but not least, I have just added a new feature on ARTALEE: this one is about our blogging friend Deb Ward who, among other artistic achievements, is a true master at painting lace! I hope that Deb will approve of the paintings that I have selected for the post about her beautiful work.

As always, I am looking forward to your comments.

10 comments:

  1. Christiane, may you sort out your personal challenges soon. If you retire, I know you will very much enjoy the time you gain to paint!

    Loving your start on the lace piece. You got me thinking here....hum -- maybe I need to get out that Brandenburg lace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this so far, Christiane. Your shadows of the tomatoes are fabulous...don't you love to work on anything white when throwing a shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lace is beautiful! I hope you post this once it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely scrumptious start to your new painting.
    My eye is already making up the rest of the scene!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your painting is off to a great start - sorry you are having work-related challenges (been there, done that!) but glad you are painting. (I'm in a holding pattern right now, it seems!) And - what a surprise to see that you put me on your Artalee site - thank you very much! I'll be watching your lace progress - "True Master of Lace" that I am!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fancy knowing the name of the particular lacework you have in your lovely new fruit and lace artwork. Think I am going to like this one most of all - can't wait to see how it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christiane, I am really enjoying your lace and fruit. I can't wait to see it finished

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ladies, thank you so much for all your great comments and support. Hum...now I really feel the pressure of trying to do a good job with the rest of the painting:-) I will work on it this weekend and will post my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to be a beautiful painting - and your mixture of colors in the shadows is awesome. It is hard to paint when there is a lot on your mind - I can emphasize with you...in spite of all on your mind, this painting is coming along beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Barb. I think that I have finally made a decision concerning my work: I feel lighter and happier. More to come about this later on this week:-)
    I am now going to the studio to work on this painting.

    ReplyDelete