Saturday, November 26, 2011

WIP Update: Venetian Door Knocker almost finished

I have not posted in about two weeks! I was busy last weekend with a 3-day show and it's only in the last few days that I had time to work on my latest watercolor painting, the scary Venetian door knocker. It is now almost finished.
Please note that the shadow at the top of the picture below is not in the painting - I took the picture inside.

 It is 13" X 17" on Fabriano SP watercolor paper. I have not decided yet if I will frame it under glass or put it on a cradled wood panel and varnish it.

As for a title, I am currently playing with the following:
-Into the Lion's Den
-Home, Sweet Home

What do I like about it?
- it gave me great practice painting texture of flaking paint over weathered wood
- I am rather happy with the metal, especially on the knocker itself
- The theme will be perfect for a Feb. 2012 show, "Fantasy of Reality", where I have to present 2-3 paintings.
- It is for me a great reminder of the several lion head door knockers I have seen in Venice.

What detract from this painting?
-it's somewhat scary, don't you think?
-it's not what your average art buyer is looking for:-)

What do you think?
I wish all my American friends a great Thanksgiving weekend.

9 comments:

  1. I like it.. but then I'm not average :lol:
    Someone out there will feel the same, who wants something different. Fingers crossed they come to your show! He doesn't look at all scary to me, love the weathered feel of the painting xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. great work!!!!!
    i love it.
    xxx Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Pat and Stephanie! I really appreciate your support and I am so happy that you like this old lion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. christiane.. wowie.. its not scary. its interesting..... i love the weathered look... you did amazing on that... thanks for the thanksgiving wishes.. hope youre doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Cindi! I am so glad that you like this painting! I am doing very well, but now have to find the subject of my next painting...decisions, decisions:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of you have emailed me to say that Blogger has not let you post of my site in the last few days. If it is your case and the problem persists, please let me know at chris_kingsley@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very scary indeed! But handsome and well done just the same! I had to drop by and say hello. It's been a while. It is nice to see what your are painting too! Your productivity is inspiring. Can't wait to see the finished door knocker. He looks mysterious and "all knowing". Oh, the stories he could tell. Happy painting Christiane.
    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! It's interesting and thought provoking. I can imagine placing the door knocker in my hand, and suddenly I feel the earth move beneath my feet and I am transported to some beautiful and magical place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ross, I am so glad to hear from you. I am certain this scary lion would have enough stories to fill several action novels:-)

    Laura, I love your imagination! I am very pleased that you like this guy.

    ReplyDelete