Sunday, September 18, 2011

"Where is my Gondola? " ready to be varnished


"Where is my Gondola" is ready to be signed and varnished. It's a 14" X 14" watercolor on paper glued to a 1 inch cradled wood panel. I know it's terribly busy, but Venice is terribly busy:-) I had been looking at the photograph of that scene since I took it in April 2010 and really wanted to paint it. I really thought that its complexity was way beyond my skills...nevertheless, I wanted to attempt painting it.  What attracted me so? The beautiful lantern, the gondolas with their wonderful blue covers, the colors, the multitude of poles in the water...well, it's Venice:-)

Please let me know what you think.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

8 comments:

  1. You must like the varnishing technique; is it easier the second time and what was the general concensus of those viewing the piece in person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, yes, I like the varnishing technique, but not for every watercolor...it seems to suit some pieces more than others. The comments on my varnished orchids were all most favorable: bright colors, glassless framing, contemporary look etc.

    For the time being, I will stick with the spray varnish, since each layer is thinner ( thus, you can control the final look a bit more, I think) and you don't have the problem of bubbles that can occur with the brush-on varnish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so beautiful and you really captured the details perfectly. Makes me miss Venice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice it is to hear from you, Theresa! I am glad that you like this painting...it does make me miss Venice also...or makes me feel that I am there:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Venice is busy - and this reminds me of it, perfectly xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the perspective you chose for this and think it works really well! I love that you got the depth in the painting of the building far away- colors are gorgeous! Great job on a tough composition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat,yes, this painting is as busy as Venice:-) I could have added a few more small boats and gondolas, but the surface of the paper was already almost full:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, there was a lot for me to work on in this painting. The main building was at a slight angle following the canal and that gave me a bit of concern with the perspective. My next painting will be an easier one:-)

    ReplyDelete